In 2005, Heavy rains and high waves uncovered what might be an important early American Indian burial site at Indian Island County Park in Riverhead, N.Y. The site was discovered by a park supervisor after the Peconic River bank eroded in stormy conditions.
Archaeologists said they found bones from at least two people believed to be American Indians buried at the site during the Early Woodland period, from 800 B.C. to A.D. 800. They also said they found several artifacts, including a pipe and fragments of a bowl.
The Fort Corchaug Site is an archaeological site showing evidence of 17th-century contact between Native Americans and Europeans, categorizing it as a post-contact site. Fort Corchaug itself was a log fort built by Native Americans with the help of Europeans, potentially serving as protection for the Corchaug tribe against other tribes.
“Sachem’s Hole,” also known as Buc-usk-kil, is the site where the late Manhasset Sachem Poggatticut was laid upon the ground as he was being brought from Shelter Island to Montauk for burial in 1651. From that point on, the area was always kept clear of leaves and debris by local tribal members until the site was eventually destroyed by Turnpike 114. A historical marker exists nearby.
Poggatacut, early in the year 1643, perhaps feeling death close, deeded away Shelter Island, his principal home. He delivered possession by turf and twig to Nathaniel Sylvester and Ensign John Booth. Then he and his Indians “did freely and willingly depart the aforesaid Island. He had already deeded Robin’s Island, one of his smaller holdings to Sylvester, a Quaker.
The Fort Pond site, once known as Konkhunganik in the 1800s for it’s south shore and Quanuntowunk as it’s north shore. This eastern shore site represents a seasonally recurrent base camp for nomadic hunter-gatherers and their extended families. The site was utilized during the early portion of the Late woodland during the winter and fall. In archaeological context, the site is known as the Payne site.
The Stony Brook Site is a prehistoric Indian Village located in the town of Stony Brook, New York, often described as an area on the North Store of “Aunt Amy’s Creek.” Found in 1956 and later excavated by William A. Ritchie in 1959, Ritchie describes the component as “Indians [who] are believed to be of the pre-ceramic archaic group who wandered from one semi-permanent camp to the next from c. 3000 B.C to 1000 B.C.” In 1981, Edward Johannemann, director of the Long Island Archaeological Project at the State University at Stony Brook, described the site as a 3,000 year old weapons factory. 1
The territory of this chieftaincy was adjoined by the Matinecocks on the west and extended eastward from the Nissequogue River to Stony Brook and south to the center of the Island. Apparently, there was a disagreement for a time between the Nissequogue and Matinecock Indians concerning their boundary and, as a consequence, they did not always enjoy friendly relations. They had extensive villages at Smithtown and at several other places near the shore within the bounds of their territory.
Poquahoc Ruht is a place that was used prehistorically as a summer and fall “clambake” site. Food remains, shell heaps, fire pits, and ceramics were found in the area, showing evidence of indigenous occupation.
The end of the woods
The indigenous peoples who inhabited the general area of Noyack were a small segment of the Shinnecock, known as the Weckatuck (meaning “end of the woods or trees, or end of the cove or creek.” Sometimes spelled Wickatuck, Wecutake, Wecatuck, Weckatuck, Weeckatuck) . Described by Southampton in a 1964 publication, they were peace loving Indians who settled in isolated groups and lived off shellfish and game. They farmed to a limited degree. Six or eight families lived on one site until the farming land was exhausted, or until collection of refuse became a serious problem. The largest known encampment of Noyack Indians was beside the Mill Pond, now known as the Trout Pond. The last known Weckatucks lived in a teepee back of Mill Pond shortly before the end of the nineteenth century. 1
Conscience Point is the approximate landing place of the first English colonists who arrived here in June of 1640. The Shinnecock Indians lived around the harbor for many centuries before the arrival of the English who subsequently settled in the vicinity of the present Southampton Village. Both the early settlers and the Native Americans benefited from the productivity of the marsh-bordered land and harbor.
Conscience Point is owned by the Southampton Historical Museum. The trail leads to a commemorative monument placed on June 13, 1910 during the celebration of Founders’ Day by the Southampton Colonial Society.1 In 2000, the Museum and the Town of Southampton completed a project to restore this location to a more natural condition and to conserve its resources for the future. 2
The Sebonac Creek Site is a Shinnecock settlement occupied from the Late Woodland period until the contact period. A stone pottery fragment resembling a Thunderbird design was found along with evidence of a large wigwam ( 15 by 20 feet ), accompanied by another smaller wigwam (15 by 10 feet) southeast. In the center was a fireplace. Also to the east, a burial was discovered, containing one body.
Early Woodland, Late Woodland
Archaic, Early Woodland, Late Woodland, Paleo-Indian
Archaic, Early Woodland, Late Woodland, Orient (Transitional)
Early Woodland, Late Woodland, Post-Contact
Contemporary, Early Woodland, Late Woodland, Post-Contact
Late Woodland, Post-Contact
Early Woodland, Orient (Transitional)